Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Our Christmas Party!

Well everyone, it's getting very close to Christmas now!  This is the first fine weekend we've had in some time up in the mountains so we decided to have our Hodson family Christmas party in a picnic spot on the edge of a pine forest, near Oberon. It is a picnic/camping grounds on the intersection that goes to Oberon in one direction and the Jenolan caves in the other direction.

It was so wonderful to get out of the house and get some fresh air. The puppies were so excited they were like jumping beans when we tried to pick them up to put them in the car. Missie stayed home as she doesn't like being out too much any more.



The smell of the pine filling our nostrils on a warm summer's day was just the perfect touch to get us into the Christmas spirit.



We had a lovely picnic lunch of roast chicken, salami, cheese, salads and breadrolls. James had his first beer in 6 months and I drank homemade ginger beer (non-alcoholic as I was driving). Even Toby got into the spirit of things - doesn't he look so cute in his reindeer antlers.....


After lunch we sat back and read the Sunday newspaper, something we rarely do these days. During the afternoon, we met some really nice people who were camping in the grounds. One man was from Gosford, on his way home from a 2 week break from work and the family. Another couple come from Gin Gin in Qld of all places. They had just come back from touring the Great Ocean Road. I don't get to talk to strangers very often these days so it was nice to meet new people for a change.

Before we went home I raided the pine trees of some of its branches to take home. I wanted to fill the house with the scent of natural pine, which always reminds me of Christmas when we used to have a real tree.

 Christmases Past...

...driving into the forest and pinching some branches of pine, reminded me of the Christmases when Dad would pick out a Christmas tree along the Gold Coast highway (which wasn't much of a highway in those days) and then he and I or one of the other kids would sneak down at night and chop it down and bring it home. Mum was generous enough to always let me decorate the tree, which was such a big thrill.

I loved going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve although it was such a chore having to wake up and get dressed in time. Mum and Dad always made such a fuss on the way home asking the kids if they could see Santa's reindeer up in the sky. It was always a race to get home and into bed in time before Santa arrived. We always left Christmas cake and milk out for him.

Mum and Dad always tried hard to make Christmas a magical time for the family, eventhough they must have stayed up half the night wrapping presents and putting them quietly under the tree. Of course when I was much older it was my job to help Mum wrap the presents and put them under the tree.

I loved our traditional Christmas breakfast, weetbix with fruit salad and ice cream. As a kid, it was yummy and such a treat having ice cream for breakfast. As an adult it doesn't appeal to me at all, and after trying it again one year, it doesn't taste anything like I remember.

Well that's the end of my little side trip down memory lane.

Before I sign off I just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Marieanne.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment